A broken or cracked foundation can lead to basement flooding, which is one of those situations that no homeowner ever wants to find themselves dealing with. While it might be tempting to ignore the threat of water seeping into your foundation and basement areas until it actually happens, it’s better to take a proactive approach and save yourself the headache and financial burden of major basement repairs. One of the essential aspects of your home’s basement flooding defense system is actually on the opposite end of your home – the gutters. Read on to learn how gutters play a crucial role in protecting your home from a soggy basement.
Properly installed and maintained gutters help prevent basement flooding by:
- Diverting Water: Your gutters collect all the rainwater that runs off of your roofing and direct it through the downspout, which prevents water from pooling at the base of your exterior walls.
- Preventing Soil Erosion: Since your gutters help control the flow of rainwater, they help reduce the risk of soil erosion around your foundation.
- Protecting the Foundation: Erosion can weaken your foundation, which leads to cracks that allow water to seep in. Properly maintained gutters prevent this, as well as pooled or standing water around the foundation.
Now that you understand why your gutters are so important in preventing basement flooding, let’s delve into what you can do to maximize their effectiveness.
- Schedule Regular Cleanings– Gutters that are clogged can’t do their job, so make sure you schedule gutter cleanings at least once a year, ideally twice.
- Inspect for Damage– Make a habit of occasionally doing a visual inspection of your gutters from a safe location, especially after significant bad weather. You can also schedule professional inspections that are more thorough.
- Handle Repairs Promptly– If you notice anything wrong with your gutters, schedule repairs immediately to prevent damage to your home.
- Install Extensions as Needed– If your downspout seems to be depositing water too close to your foundations, have a professional assess the situation and install an extension as needed.
If you need help with your gutters, don’t hesitate to contact us at Weldon Roofing!